Winter brings Snow and Ice making our roadways, parking lots and sidewalks Danger Zones. Slippery roads and overly aggressive driving results in Car Crashes. Property owners’ Negligence in failing to plow, shovel and salt their parking lots and sidewalks causes Slip and Fall Accidents.
Both Car Crashes and Slip and Fall Accidents lead to a variety of serious injuries like Head Injuries/Traumatic Brain Injuries, Neck and Back Injuries, Shoulder Tears and Fractures, Elbow and Wrist Fractures, Hip Fractures, Knee Injuries and Leg and Ankle fractures.
This makes Winter the most dangerous time of the year.
How can you avoid getting injured or sued after a Winter Snow or Ice Storm?
How Can You Avoid getting Injured in the Winter?
Here are some random Tips to avoid getting injured in Winter Snow and Ice Storms:
Tips for Drivers
- Get New Tires for your Vehicle
- Avoid driving in slippery conditions
- Clear all snow off your Vehicle’s windows for maximum visibility
- Clear snow off of your Vehicle hood and roof to prevent flying sheets of ice
- Drive more slowly and carefully
- Remember that Turning and Stopping are challenging in Snow and Ice
- Pay more attention on Hills and Curves
- Practice Defensive Driving – Be ready for others to make stupid mistakes
- If you have an accident and must leave your Car – Get away from the road and other drivers
Tips for Pedestrians
- Avoid going out during any Snow or Ice Storm
- If you must go out, then be mindful to wear slip resistant footwear
- Be careful where you walk – watch out for isolated Ice patches or Black Ice
- Walk more slowly – particularly on stairs and hills
- If you fall and are injured, take photos and video of the condition and the area
How Can You Avoid Getting Sued in the Winter?
- Prepare your vehicle for Winter with new tires
- Avoid Driving in bad weather
- Drive with extra caution – slow down and watch out on curves and hills
- Plow, Shovel and Salt your Property promptly after any storm
- Watch out for areas that melt and refreeze and diligently re-salt those areas
- Make sure that you have enough Liability Coverage on your Vehicles and Property in case you get sued for Winter Injuries
Tim Rayne is a Personal Injury Lawyer with the Pennsylvania Law Firm MacElree Harvey. For over 25 years, Tim Rayne has been helping injured accident victims understand their legal rights and pursue fair compensation from insurance companies. Tim has law offices in Kennett Square and West Chester Pennsylvania and also meets with clients in their homes or virtually via FaceTime or Zoom. Contact Tim Rayne at 610-840-0124 or email@example.com for a Free Legal Consultation regarding your Injury Claim.