Each case is unique so it’s impossible to predict with certainty how long it will take a Pennsylvania Personal Injury Claim to resolve.
In my 25 plus years of helping Pennsylvania Accident Victims I’ve had cases settle in 3 months or take as long as 5 years to resolve.
It’s unwise to try to settle a case too quickly because insurance companies won’t pay unless you sign a Release giving up all future claims. So if you settle your case but then have injuries resurface or worsen, you cannot get more compensation.
Because of the finality of a settlement, it’s important to know the full extent of your injuries and damages before your case is valued and settled.
Here are some factors that can impact the length of time it will take for your case to settle a Personal Injury Claim:
- The severity of your injuries;
- The length of your medical treatment;
- Whether your injuries are temporary or permanent;
- Whether it’s clear or questionable who caused the accident;
- Whether there is just one or more than one Defendant;
- The amount of insurance coverage and available assets of the Defendant;
- Whether your claim can be fairly settled or needs to be litigated;
- The backlog of the court where your case is venued; and
- The number of witnesses and experts involved in your claim.